Our functional communication group helps people with neurological disorders who struggle to interact with others in conversation to develop the skills needed to enjoy social interactions and also to communicate in more formal settings. Our speech pathologists deliver therapy in small groups to help foster confidence in each participant to help build their functional communication skills in a supportive environment.
Our Neuro Communicate groups are suitable for a range or people and conditions including:
- People who want to improve their communication with others
- People who need help to remember strategies to keep their speech clear and to use their voice correctly
- People who want to make friends
- People who struggle to recognize body language and emotions in others
- People who don’t often speak to others and feel more comfortable on their own but would like to be able to interact confidently with others
Neuro Communicate involves:
- A variety of activities designed to increase confident communication skills.
- Activities focused on enhancing awareness of clear speech strategies and word retrieval in conversation.
Groups will be led by one of our experienced speech pathologists and implemented over a 10-week block. Activities will be carried out in small group setting of 5 people during a 1 hour session.
Our speech pathologists’ main aim in the Neuro Communicate group is to improve functional communication skills in a safe and supportive environment.
This is achieved through:
- Helping everyone to develop better conversational skills
- Helping each individual to use strategies to help maintain communication skills
- Helping to improve communicative behaviour as well as general behaviour across social settings through learning and recognising appropriate and inappropriate communication in different settings
Sessions are subject to availability. Sessions run every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 11:00am, at the Neuro Alliance clinic, 1 Poynton Place, Thornton.